Well. Today I started painting the arm. Seeing how this works. I was worried I might need to do another plaster coat, but it’s looking good so far.
Still working on the suckers. I’ll need to finish sculpting those, then paint an attach them to the arm.
I may spray the whole thing in sort of clear coat to try and seal it. Not sure what yet though.
Thing a week #4…week #3.
Sooo this is taking longer than “thing a week.”
This one was a little more complicated than I anticipated. Sculpting each little sucker isn’t hard, there’s just a lot of them and the time adds up.
Right now I’m sanding down the suckers before a second smooth mâché pass. Probably one more sanding. Then I’ll paint them.
Doing the same for the arm part, sanding and then a smoothing application pass.
Maybe I’ll get to finish it this week?!
Thing a week #4:
Still working on it. This one will probably take at least two weeks to make it’s looking like. The drying time combined with my schedule is slowing me down.
I am doing the sanding passes/additional mâché coats now, trying to finalize the arm shape.
I decided just to sculpt the suckers out of foil. It was cheaper and ultimately faster that ordering suction cups online.
Now I’m pondering what the final color will be. Originally it was gonna be green and red, but purple/blue could be fun too. If I go the purple route, I need to find paint that works in black light too.
Thing a week #4 (cont.)
Started applying Fast Mâché. First time ever using this stuff. So far I like it. The hardest part is waiting for it to dry. I still have at least one or two more coats to go before it’s ready for sanding.
Also still pondering how to best make the suction cups.
Thing a week #4:
New plant creature! I doodled a tentacle plant thing a while back. So I decided to make it. I think I can make this in a week. I hope.
I still need to figure out how to best make the suction cup suckers for the tentacle, but that shouldn’t be too hard.
And of course, when this is done, it will of course glow in the dark. I mean that goes without saying. :D
Thing a week: #3
I’m challenging myself to make a thing a week. Half the time my dilemma is not making something, but making the right something. Making the first step is the hardest part for me. Well usually. I will get better only by doing it more.
Anyway, my friend’s birthday came up, and she joked she wanted a really expensive present. Opportunity arose, so I went to my scrap material pile again and decided to make a piece of art. Cause really, all art is priceless. Right?
So this is what I made! I estimated it’s value to be at least a million dollars, so this totally qualifies as expensive.
I sadly didn’t get any alternate mode pictures, but it works as a wall mount, surface with a kickstand, or flat on the surface. Plus the eyes are posable in any direction. This art has multiple options for your convenience! Can the Mona Lisa do that? No. Boom. This art is instantly worth more.
So this is technically week 3 of thing a week. Week 1 was Skully. Week 2
is done but I can’t post it till later. I’ll try to remember to come back to it once it’s finished with parts out of my control.
I am still working on the robot deer head development. That is going to take a while for sure.
But i can’t wait months to make something!! :P So today I decided try and make something out of scrap stuff laying around. No buying anything. I’m currently in the middle of painting it. Next is assembly and that should be it! Overall a fairly quick build process and best of all…free! I’ll post a pic when it’s finished. :)
Where I’m at currently with the animatronic deer skull project…
Last weekend I decided to start the ball rolling and figured the only way to start was google. I searched for how to make animatronics, and Arduino seemed to be the best starting point. So I bought a book and ordered the chip off amazon.
Right now I’m going through the examples and learning as I go. It’s a lot of fun. It’s one part electrical engineering and one part computer programming. I’m starting to understand the concepts and it makes a lot of sense so far. Not as bad as I thought it’d be.
So far I’ve gotten a red light to turn off and on, and fade as well. It’s exciting but I want to learn this so much faster!
Meanwhile, I still need to figure out the best way to construct the skull and neck. I think a lot of that will depend on how the circuitry and servos have to fit together and how much weight it can handle. A lot of questions I still need to work out.
The Skeleton Deer Skull Project (I’ll come up with a better name for it later.)
So this is going to be my next major art project. It’s something I’ve wanted for a while, but just haven’t had time to really devote to figuring out for a while.
Basically, I wanted a mounted deer head (like the kind over fireplaces), but the skeleton of one. However, that’s obviously too easy. So I also want it to be able to move around with its own animatronics and motion track / follow as people walk around my house. Also as a bonus, I’d like to hook it up to bluetooth so I can use it as an external speaker when someone calls me. Whenever the other person talks, the deer’s mouth would flap open and closed.